Essential tools for the serious writer. A short story writing guide authored by competition judges L. E. Daniels & C. Sawyer.
The Skinny on Short Stories
Like musicians and painters, writers are collectors. We gather high notes and low notes, and seek truant shades to make our palettes fresh again. What better place to test new sounds and colours but from within the cosmos of short stories?
Short fiction is in demand. For emerging writers, it’s a swift path to publication—swifter than that first novel, for sure. Submission calls are global and a few publications will light up your portfolio.
Collectively, over the years, L. E. Daniels and C. Sawyer have judged many short story competitions and seen patterns in what makes stories wobble, and what makes them dance.
When you enter competitions you’re pitting yourself against a legion of other writers who are largely just as talented and passionate as yourself. Competitions are filled with good to great writers. In Winning Short Story Competitions, Daniels and Sawyer detail the difference between the winners and the well-populated layer of the field that score around the 8/10 mark for their work.
Long- or Short-Listing, or better yet, Winning, competitions endorses that you have the skills and talent of a career writer. Nothing beats seeing your work published.
Winning Short Story Competitions is for serious writers on the quest to expand their writing practise from good/very good, to exceptional.
This terrific guide is available now for pre-order, with expected delivery – July 2020. $25AU plus postage.
If you wish to purchase more than 1 copy, please email us to get a discount. We’ll issue you an invoice with bank details for direct deposit.Pre-order Now Delivered in Australia
Pre-order Now Delivered Overseas
Reviews for Winning Short Story Competitions:
‘I got so much out of reading this guide. The examples are excellent. I think everyone trying to get published for the first time should read this book. Exceptional read. Very instrumental for all emerging writers.’Caitlyn Leigh.
Winning Short Story Competitions Table of Contents:
- How to Impress Judges
- Behind the Scenes: How One Literary Judge Approaches Short Story Comps
- Your Writerly Self
- Hint, Tantalise, Reel Me In
- Enter Late, Leave Early
- BFFs: How Dialogue Makes Plot, Theme & Conflict Shine
- POV: Who’s The Boss?
- Let’s Talk Tautologies
- The Art of Self-Editing
- Top Drawer Writing Groups & Peer Review
- Your Title, Your Promise
- Recommended Resources
- Eight Weeks of Creative Writing Exercises to Hone Your Skills
L. E. Daniels is the Director of Brisbane Writers Workshop and a qualified editor, author, mentor and trainer. She has a Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing from Emerson College in Boston USA, and a Bachelor of Arts, Creative Writing from Fairfield University USA. Daniels has edited 90+ commercially published books, and runs a series of comprehensive writing workshops for fiction and non-fiction writers.
C. Sawyer is the Director of Hawkeye Publishing and Hawkeye Books. She is an editor, author and presenter. She has a Master of Arts Writing through Swinburne University, Melbourne, Australia. The former Newspaper Editor has a published portfolio spanning 30 years, including seven books. She runs workshops on Show Not Tell, The Art of Self-Editing, and Winning Short Story Competitions.
Sawyer is a Literary Judge for the Sydney Hammond Memorial Short Story Writing Competition, and the Hawkeye Publishing Manuscript Development Prize.
Daniels has judged:
- 2020 Hawkeye Publishing Manuscript Development Prize, March 2020
- 2019 Poetry Awards for Queensland Society of Women Writers at Brisbane City Square Library, December 2019
- 2018 and 2019 Estelle Pinney Short Story Awards for Queensland Society of Women Writers at Brisbane City Square Library, September 2018; October 2019
- 2017 Marj Wilke Writing Competition for Society of Women Writers Queensland at Brisbane City Square Library, December 2017
- IP Picks annual competition for fiction, creative non-fiction, young adult, children’s and poetry for Interactive Publications Pty Ltd,2004 – 2015.