Hawkeye Publishing Manuscript Development + Publication Prize 2020
Writing Competition Details
Winner Receives $4,500AU Self Publishing Package
Production (cover design & interior layout)
Book Launch (incl. launch PR), and
12-month marketing strategy
Closes 6PM Friday 20 December 2019
Maximum 95,000 words.
$45AU Entry Fee
*The entry fee is required to remunerate judges for the assessment process. Entrants will receive judges’ feedback on their submission.
(Sponsorship Opportunities Available – Contact Carolyn)
Hawkeye Publishing extends a huge thank you to our Sponsor, Brisbane Writers Workshop, for provision of the winner’s Structural Assessment.
Brisbane Writer’s Workshop has over 80 published titles to their portfolio of edited works.
Editing, Proofreading, Production, Publishing, Distribution & PR supplied by Hawkeye Publishing.
- Authors of commercial Adult and Young Adult fiction and non-fiction written in English can apply.
- Manuscripts submitted by applicants must be their own original, unpublished work and should be strong commercial fiction, including but not limited to contemporary women’s fiction, science fiction, romance, crime and YA, or commercial non-fiction, including but not limited to memoir, biography, history, self-help, business.
- The following types of work are not eligible:
- Poetry, plays, short stories
- Works intended for the academic or educational market
- Cookery manuscripts
- Travel narratives.
- Manuscripts for adult fiction and non-fiction must be a maximum of 95,000 words in length.
- Emerging and established writers are invited to apply.
- Entry to the program is open to applicants world-wide who write for an English-speaking audience.
Applicants must be aged 18 years or older.
Entry and Assessment Process
- Applicants must submit a one-page synopsis, the first 50 pages of their manuscript, and a one-page plan demonstrating to judges that the applicant understands their audience, knows how to reach them, and can successfully continue with the self-publishing of their book at the completion of the prize package.
- Manuscripts must be formatted as per industry standard – Use a 12-point standard font, e.g. Times New Roman or Courier. The first line of each paragraph should be indented, the text should be double-line spaced with at least 3cm margins, and aligned left.
- Your manuscript and synopsis must not include your name or any identifying marks to enable the ‘blind’ judging process.
- Synopses should be single-spaced. Please see Queensland Writers Centre’s Writing a Synopsis resources for tips.
- Applications must be accompanied by a completed application form and the entry fee.
- Applicants may enter more than one manuscript; however, each submission must be accompanied by its own application form and entry fee.
- Judges are looking for exceptional writing and story telling, originality, and viability of your book in the self-published marketplace.
- Shortlisted applicants must submit a full-length draft of their manuscripts within 72 hours of being notified they are a finalist.
- There will be no individual feedback for unsuccessful applicants.
- The winner will be announced on Monday 16 March 2020.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
By entering a manuscript in the Hawkeye Publishing Manuscript Development + Publication Prize – a writing competition – you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions.
- Entries close 6PM Friday 20 December 2019
- The maximum word limit is 95,000 words.
- Entries can be non-fiction, fiction, or fiction inspired by true events.
- The winner receives a $4,500 Self Publishing Package. Includes editing, proofing, production (cover design & interior layout), digital publishing, digital distribution, book launch at a local library near the winner (incl. launch public relations), and a 12-month marketing strategy to guide the author upon completion of the prize package.
- Entry is online only. Attach your entry as a .pdf or Word document (.doc) file via the entry form (left).
- Entries must be the original work of the applicant and must not be published in any form or currently offered for publication.
- If you prefer your book published under a pseudonym, there is an optional field on the entry form.
- Entrants are welcome to submit more than one manuscript. There is no limit on number of entries. A separate entry form, and separate entry fee of $45AU (incl. GST) must accompany each entry.
- You must acknowledge any quotes from other writers that you use.
- Staff of Hawkeye Publishing and the nominated judges and their family members are not eligible to enter the Hawkeye Publishing Manuscript Development + Publication Prize.
- Entrants must be aged 18 years and over.
- The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with either the judges, or the staff.
- The winning author retains all rights to their book.
- The winner will be required to participate in media-related events associated with the competition.
- By supplying your contact details you agree to us sending you opt-out correspondence.
- Hawkeye Publishing will make all reasonable attempt to fulfil the Self-Publishing Package by 31 December 2020.
- The author agrees to work productively, openly and efficiently with the Structural Editor, Editor, Page Setter and Cover Designer to achieve a quality manuscript. The author acknowledges that the prize package includes industry professionals in their respective fields.
- Should the manuscript require author re-writes prior to publication in order to meet Hawkeye Publishing’s standard quality guarantee to readers, the author and Hawkeye Publishing agree to fulfil the Self-Publishing Package by 31 December 2021. Hawkeye Publishing can not be held liable if late supply of author re-writes prevents the deadline being met.